From city lock-up to deportation

Week commencing 1.12.2014

This week I am still in the mighty fishing boat and despite the difficulty from my resting place still helping the cook in the kitchen, and organising the freezer, fridge, and the dry storage area.

I have to say that I had a wonderful tour around the engine room and its surroundings, with the kind chief engineer.

It’s also this week that I have to move out of my resting place which was in the lounge (a place where I have to say I never had a good sleep due to it being the place where the crews will come and watch tv). For the last week or more, as the crew from the factory and deck area didn’t have much to do and were gambling and playing poker in the lounge, I was asked to clear the area that I was resting in, so I decided to move out to a busy and cold area of the boat somewhere outside the resting area and above the factory. It was a place where crew were coming and going up and down, I took my sleeping bag and slept out there, but even despite being out there, some of the crew who were not happy for me to be there were trying to disturb me, and were making even more noise than usual. Some others of the crew were showing their sympathy with what has happened, as they have heard about my moving out from the lounge, and they couldn’t do much, but when the co-captain heard the news he told me I can rest in his cabin when he is not using it, and also the cook has offered me his room again as well, which I welcomed and thanked both of them for their offer, so I managed to get some rest in the cook’s cabin – enough to keep me going all the way to a place called Bay Roberts, our final destination in the east of today’s Canada (Turtle Island).

So it was Sunday that we finally arrived in our destination, this place called Bay Roberts, about an hour’s drive from the oldest and famous town of St. John’s, the capital of Newfoundland.

We arrived at about 1300 hours, and I was called by the CBSA officers for an interview and questioning about my peace journey and why I was there. I was in the captain’s lounge area for more than an hour, being grilled with two officers questioning me from two sides and four other officers looking and searching everywhere, including my initial place of rest in room 222 upper bed, where I was sleeping in a same cabin with an Inuit before I left for the lounge, and also where I kept my stuff in a room which was called an office, where an exercising bicycle was. The customs were looking through everything for stuff that might give a hint or lead them to something other than what I was telling them about why I was there! Finally after checking everything and finding out that I was not any threat to their security, and I am really a peace pilgrim, but one with no monetary capacity, they decided not to let me carry on doing as I have done for the last ten months during this episode of my peace journey, and as I have done now entering my third year since 2012.

They told me if I am happy, they can sent me back direct to London, but the captain has to pay and will be fined, and I said if you fine the captain 1 dollar or 1 trillion dollars to me it is not acceptable, and I would like to go through the hardest way of going back, as you are now going to be punishing a wonderful captain, who has trusted me with his heart and that is your reward to the goodness and kindness of people, a person with a good heart and intention?

Finally at about 4pm they handcuffed me for the first time in my life in real heavy metal handcuffs, and took me to a place which later on I found out was St. John’s city lock-up, and I tried to get in touch with my wonderful brothers and sisters back in England, but with no luck, so they took me to cell no. 8 to rest for the night.

Week commencing 8.12.2014

This week I was in the detention centre (St. John’s city lock-up), and I had a chance to get in touch with my wonderful peace brother Ben back in England, and as I couldn’t have access to social media, I asked him to update my circumstances and tell more brothers and sisters about my situation, in hope of someone coming forward to offer a place for me to stay, so that I could get released to carry on with my peace journey.

This week I was interviewed by an immigration judge from Montreal, and a representative of the CBSA from Halifax, and we (two CBSA officers and I) were in a room in St. John’s international airport, but due to the CBSA lawyer not being ready to put their case in front of the immigration judge, the hearing was postponed to next week. That was good news, to give some more time to explore any other avenues available out there by those who I knew, but because of the circumstances I was in it has made many of my brothers and sisters think twice before they approach the city lock-up.

The judge, because I didn’t have any place to go, he told me, “I can’t let you out into the streets of St. John’s”, so he decided to lock me up again in the lock-up till next week, and despite I wasn’t happy about it, I couldn’t do much about the situation.

My HMP cell number 8 was in a row of 10 cells and every day new people were brought in for their court day or any other reason for a short period of time, so during the time I was there I came across a number of people who were there for reasons like robbery, money laundering, credit card fraud, drugs, anything you name it but all related to the monetary system, and they couldn’t believe that I was there because I didn’t want to use that monetary system that has caused them so much suffering, so I have told them all about my other advocacy and the border issue as well, it was very interesting to some, but to some others it was irrelevant.

So I had a chance to talk to some of those inmates who were interested in my peace mission.

The state of the cell reminded me of few places like Egypt, Hungary, and few other places throughout my peace journey, where I have spent some time in their lock-ups.

In the cell I have seen silver fish, and bed bugs. The cell I was in was for a maximum of two people, I was with a young college boy who was in for drink driving for two days and nights out of my 11 days stay in the lock-up place. There was a practice of inmates passing different items to one another with a thread from a cotton blanket (a dove) sometimes about 10m long, I was sometimes helping them to pass food or books to other inmates in need of those items.

I managed to read some of the bible story, and a short story book about cults in the 60’s, and I was talking to other inmates and the new ones. We weren’t allowed to have pen and paper here, but we were offered a shower, and a collect call as well, and this week I managed to speak to my peace brother Ben three times, and to legal aid twice to speak to a solicitor to see if they could help me, and to some other local people who they did offer me their contact details when I was in Greenland, but I had no luck to see or get any help from them.

In terms of eating we were offered breakfast of reasonable food, lunch and dinner as well, most of the food was processed, and with lack of fresh fruit and vegetables, but as I was saying to the kind person who was serving us (himself was an inmate) it’s better than other prisons I have been before, and definitely better than Africa.

This week I did a system shut down to get used to the new environment, and that needed my body to go without food, drink, and speaking for more than 24 hours.

week commencing 15.12.2014

Again this week I managed to speak to my wonderful peace brother back in England and update my circumstances with him, and hear from him to see if anyone has come forward to help, with hope that I could get some help to get out, and carry on with my peace journey.

This week I also had my second hearing and this time I was interviewed by three people, the judge from Montreal, the CBSA representative from Halifax, and this time my solicitor from legal aid was questioning me as well in a telephone room in the St. John’s city lock-up where a female officer from CBSA was present as well. We were in this room for about an hour, and I told them everything about why I am doing this peace journey in this way, and even the solicitor despite she couldn’t find any case similar to mine, tried her best to convince the judge that I am not a student or a tourist which is what I was saying to them as well, and I tried to convince them I will incur minimum or nothing in terms of monetary needs, but the judge wasn’t convinced and on the probability of I might need money in the worse case scenario, and because I hadn’t made arrangements in advance for the duration for my peace journey, decided to make a decision in favour of the CBSA.

Also the judge extended my detention until January as I didn’t have any address to go to, and CBSA told me they will send me back as soon as they can through the air, and to make me happy the lady who was in the room told me she’ll try her best to make the flight as direct as possible so my CO2 footprint would be minimum.

So next day in a very high security van I was searched again and I was hand- and foot-cuffed and my hand was chained around my waist, so I saw myself like those in Guantanamo base prison only without the orange suit, and I have seen such circumstances just on some Hollywood films, but there I found myself being in the reality of a world of distrust and without love for one another, but anyway they transferred me to the St. John’s HMP, and that was second time for the last 11 days that I saw the outside world through the windows of the very high security van.

I was finally transferred to a reception area in the prison, but before I get in to the reception area of the prison I was stripped totally and a male guard looked at me naked front and back before they ask me to take a shower, and they offered me some clothes and washing material and a pair of slippers and second hand shoes, as I wasn’t allowed to take anything that I had including my boots as well.

I was given a piece of advice by a guard, not to speak to the other prisoners about my peace journey as they don’t understand why I am doing this peace mission, and if I don’t keep quiet I might get in trouble, so keeping quiet was an option offered to me, but I decided to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, as that was and always has been my guide to my peace mission throughout my peace journey.

So while I was in the reception area, I was asked to see a nurse and I saw him next day and he asked me some medical questions and took my blood pressure and weighed me, where I found myself 137 pounds, so luckily this time on my journey I have put weight on rather than losing it – this was good as I was going to a cold place, but our distrustful human beings have now put a stop to what the universe prepared me for.

I also had an interview with a lovely lady who tried to find a right unit in the prison to allocate me there, so finally I was transferred to the unit 4B room 418 with another inmate who was a young boy in his 20’s but with a mental capability of an eight year old.

So as soon as I arrived and I saw that the cell that I was in has become a place where other inmates are coming in and consuming a white powder through their nose, so I managed to put some boundaries and commandments which will make our cell a place of rest and a respected one, and I asked my cell mate to read it and if he’s happy with it, to put his name on it so we could put it up on the wall of our cell, but because my cell mate was influenced by some of the other inmates, who I could clearly see he was under a lot of pressure to give away some of his medication and swap it with others, and also his room was worse than a nightclub in terms of using substances which are even difficult to get them outside the prison let alone inside, but they could get it?! how? I didn’t know!.

So anyway this was the list of my suggested commandments, which he was happy to accept and put his name beside mine and was a public announcement, so every inmate when they were coming into our cell we were asking them to respect our new commandments and boundaries as follows:

19.12.2014 5pm Earthian and X commandments of our resting and place of comfort (our cell/room).

1 don’t worship any person except your creator

2 Sunday is our rest day, so please don’t disturb or disrespect us.

3 don’t want anything that belongs to someone else.

4 don’t lie, steal, hurt yourself or anyone else.

5 we are merciful and very patient to our kind and we show great love,and peace, so trust us, as we do in you.

6 don’t be sinful and rebellious, so be kind with us and share our love, peace, joy, and hope.

On Fridays we had some people who were acting like our guardian or rangers who were going around the cells and they were talking to the inmates in private, and later on in the evening there was a two hour meeting where concerns were brought up and discussed and put to a vote. Later on I did introduce the idea of a concensus decision making process similar to the OLSX (Occupy London) General Assembly, and some would love to see that, but it wasn’t an easy option for some to let it be that way, especially those who were in power.

So our commandments and a few other issues were discussed in the evening meeting and got a good reception, and I brought up few other concerns.

Soon I was a foreign adviser to those three people who were running the show, and some whose circumstances were about to change started to act not in favour but opposite to our good will, and I had to use all my knowledge to defuse the situation.

As an example, a person who was taking some of the medication from my cell mate, after seeing his position was untenable, he has told my cell mate that I am a threat to his life and so he moved out of the cell, but then the same day he moved back, as he was told by everyone else that he would never find another cell mate like me anywhere, so he became very friendly with me afterwards, and he knew very clearly that it was a tactic being used by the one who wanted his medication, the one who could no longer rock and roll in this cell like he did prior to my arrival.

When I was in the reception area there were 9 cells and I was in no.7, it’s located inbetween the main reception area, and the gym, a place where ceremonies e.g Xmas happen (while I was there I attended two of such ceremonies, where afterwards you’ll be given a little goody bag), and also inmates will use it 1 hour a day for exercising, so when I was in the reception area we could see people were coming and going and it was a time you could see anyone who you know from other units passing through there.

But then when I was transferred to the unit 4B cell/room 418 there were more people in this unit then any other place I was held before, the cells were starting from 416 to 432 some of the cells like ours for two people and some just one person, and the total number of people who were in the unit 4B were about 20 people, again most of the people who were held there in one way or another all were related to the monetary system, apart from my cell mate who didn’t have a stable mind.

Just to describe and mention a day e.g 19.12.2014 in our unit 4B cell 418 HMP:

As our daily routine we’re waking up at about 7-8 am, and as the toilet is in our room so we use it in turn, then after about 8am a meal for breakfast will be called by couple of guards, breakfast is in a container tray which contains 2x white eggs, small sachets of salt and pepper, a medium sized banana, 110ml of orange juice, 250ml of semi skimmed milk, a small portion of all bran cereal, plus a plastic knife, fork and a spoon, and you have option of a cup of coffee or tea. Then after 9am those who want to go to gym will be called for an hour, my favourite was cycling, and walking around the gym, and some play with metals, some basketball. I have been there a few times and the age of people in there was mostly from 20-40 years (about 15 people), and there were about 5 people age 40-60 years. Then we’ll be brought back, escorted by two guards in a marching way, and I have to say as you go out of your unit towards the gym you’ll have to go through a metal detector, to prevent inmates from problems in the playing area, and as you come back you can take a shower. I managed to read few newspaper articles for the duration that I was there, about the situation in middle East and involvement of Canadian military with ISIS, and preventing fracking in a few states in the US as the situation in oil production and its value has affected the fracking companies, and few other articles. I got the newspaper from the guards in the gym as they were finished reading it. And so, busy with all this, the time soon approaches to about 11am then your lunch (or as they call it over there – dinner) will arrive in a container by two different guards than those who took us to the gym, and the dinner today is spaghetti in a creamy yellow sauce plus some salad look-a-like with two slices of tomato, 250ml of semi skimmed milk again, and 110g of canned pear fruit. I didn’t finish my lunch. Then a guard will come around and lock your cell till 2pm, I call it inmate’s afternoon nap, so everyone goes quiet and every hour a guard will come along to check the inmates through small windows on the cell’s door. The intercom and the sound of the TV in the common area every now and then will disturb our concentration, or in case of other inmates their afternoon nap.

I used to love this time to read a book or write about the daily life in the prison, luckily unlike the city lock-up here in the prison I could have a pen and some paper. It was this pen which later on I found out was used by an inmate as a source of division between my cell mate and I, because this other inmate has told my cell mate I could hurt him with it, which is why he decided to move out (but came back again).

During the locked-in time, some will be let out to be given their methadone or different drugs. After 2pm you’ll be let out of your cell and people were all busy talking to one another, also watching TV is another source of making inmates busy, but apart from the real news (which the accuracy of it was even in doubt, as most of it was related to conflicts and wasn’t educational at all), I wasn’t watching TV much. As well, some were playing cards, chess, being on a phonecalls to the outside world through a monitored phone box in a timely manner planned on the wall by the phone, or cleaning your cell and the common area was another option. I have to say we had a few people with the problem of always they were cleaning things and complaining that other inmates aren’t clean and few other smiler issues like this were topics of the day.

Just before our dinner two inmates were going around and giving some brown bread, a few small sachets of jam and peanut butter, also some sugar, which I was hardly having, so most of it was going to my cell mate and other inmates as they were coming around and asking for it. By now the time was approching 4-5pm when we’re offered our dinner (or their supper) which was fish and chips, some milk and a dessert, which I couldn’t eat due to an inmate causing a problem.

So I had few more interactions with some of the inmates before I go back to my cell and prepare myself for my system shut down, till Monday morning, and that was due to Winter Solstice and I wanted to review a year since my last year’s visit to Stonehenge back in England. At about 11:30pm the guards came around and counted us up to lock us up till next day.

On Saturday 20.12.2014 I had my last meal about 4pm which was shepherd’s pie, 110ml of apple juice and a little piece of sweet, which after eating my food I made a cup of tea to have it with the sweet as my desert, then slowly I prepared myself for a 24 hours system shut down of my body, to prepare myself for an unknown time in the HMP cell, this shut down planned to start from midnight Saturday or Sunday morning, until midnight Sunday or Monday morning.

So I have to mentally and physically prepare myself for it, but I didn’t finish my tea break with the little sweet as my dessert, because I was called by a newly nominated person or so called vice president of a group of three inmates out of about 20 inmates, to discuss an issue which happened the day before. These three people were supposed to look after the concerns of all inmates and they go around and see the inmates, speak to them, and listen to their grievances, then later on the same day they will bring the concerned issues to the gathering of all the inmates and will try to solve the problems or concerns.

I managed to sit down in a room with a very bad smell because some of them have used the toilet in the cell, and four of us in the cell were trying to discuss and find out about an issue which has happened before and find the best solution to prevent such incidents from happening again.

Then they were asking questions about my past and why I am on this peace journey, so after some time I said goodbye to them and went back to my cell.

Then, as some of the inmates and guards has seen me with these people they were puzzled about how these inmates are approaching me very closely, and even one of the inmates asked the head of the inmates who is a prisoner himself about who am I and what is my role, and he answered I am his foreign relationship advisor. Later on a person who is no longer part of the counselling group, and from yesterday was no longer vice president as someone else took his place, he came to our cell (my cell mate and I), and he was trying to show me some paper design art where he’s been shown by others in the prison before, so as we were busy with that some were coming and going in and out of our cell, and I could notice there’s something going on, but I was trying to concentrate on what our neighbouring cell mate (ex vice president) was telling me, and finally the head of the inmates came to me with my cell mate, and another neighbouring cell mate to tell me that my cell mate was going to move out. As I understood it they were asking me to move out and I said “I am not going to move out” and I said to them “it has to be discussed”, so not very long after that they came and very quickly they moved out my cell mate’s bedding and his stuff and I asked them “what’s going on, I thought no one is going to move out until we discuss things, but why so rapid?”, and finally I was told that my cell mate is paranoid, that he has been told by another cell mate I might hurt him during the night with a pen, and he’s escaping to prevent that from happening, and I said “I was looking at him like my son, and he needs someone to look after him as he’s doing things that a child wouldn’t do, so whatever has been told him isn’t true, and he shouldn’t do things like this”, and then we discussed the matter further, and we found out that my cell mate has some medication which another prisoner used to swap their medication with, and this has been affected by me coming into the cell and so he has told him that I am going to hurt him and my cell mate has believed him. Later on, after everyone were assuring him that he has done a mistake and he would never find another cell mate like me, he came back to the cell but now to the top bunk bed and not the bottom one as I had moved down by that time, and he apologised, then I discussed the matter a bit more with some other inmates especially with the group who I had a conversation earlier in one of their cells, and I told them about my next day meditation.

So not very long before midnight I said goodbye to them and my returned cell mate, ready for a long body shut down. (My body shut down including not eating, drinking, and speaking for 24 hours or more).

Then I managed to get some sleep and went the whole Sunday without those things and also managed to review my peace journey and what would be my vision for my next move.

So I managed to pass my breakfast, lunch (dinner), and dinner (supper) without a problem, and during the period a few times I was shaken and even moved by some of the guards and some of the inmates and they tried to talk to me to see I was okay. Then when it was still evening some of the inmates came and told me they have been told by the guards that they will come and take me in an hour and they’ll deport me back, so having heard that my whole body went through an emergency recovery and a quick preparation, and what to do!?

It’s not very long that some guards came and they tried to drag me out of my bottom bed and I quickly took what I thought might be needed, and with my sign of love and peace said goodbye to everyone, then I was searched again and taken through seven sets of doors and gates before I saw the outside world again from the prison, then I was handcuffed and taken back to the St. John’s international airport. I was told if I behave they will take my handcuffs off, and they took it off as they were preparing my stuff for check in and after a thorough check up, photo and fingerprints taken, also I was told I can’t go back for a duration of one year.

So from the time I was taken out of my cell bed to my seat on the plane has taken almost two hours (10pm-midnight). The people from CBSA  provided me very kindly with some drink and sandwiches, as the guards from the prison has told them that I haven’t eaten anything, and then I could speak to them just a few minutes before I say goodbye to them after Sunday midnight, and it is Monday morning and I thanked them, and I told them I have left my board which was meant to be for here, for ‘Turtle Island’ as I know it, and later I realised I forgot my umbrella from their storage as well, and a few tshirts from my prison cell, but it’s too late and after everything has been explained to the captain and the crew of the airline I was escorted to the airplane, and headed back this time unwillingly bound to London on air, which I have avoided throughout my peace journey.

week commencing 22.12.2014

So, a long peace journey through England, Wales, southern and northern Ireland, then into Scotland, Shetland, Orkney, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, and finally Turtle Island or today’s Canada, which has taken me over ten months, was ended when Canadian authorities decided peace wasn’t something that was needed over there. As I have seen it for myself in their prison cells, money and materialistic world was something that resonated with them, and they can use it to control us and until we open that chain we will not be free. I have noticed it very clearly there was four states over there – so called today’s US, Canada, Mexico, and on top of it so-called UN – and they are all run and interconnected with each other, and they rock and roll across most of today’s America, also most of the world as we see it today, and it’s very sad to see that they are really provoking a lot of wonderful people to become rebellious, so they can then pass a lot of legislations against the citizens of the planet, and as long as we sleep and participate in everything that they plan for us, we will be the slaves of the system and the top elites will take advantage of us.

This peace journey has made me much stronger and more determined to carry on and advocate the alternatives to the current corrupted system, and has put the question to a lot of people who I have come across about how we can build that alternative system.

Most of this week I was resting and reflecting on my past year, and building up a vision that I hope future generations will live in a better planet and they will think beyond today’s politics, conflicts and poverty, that has crippled many generations from thinking critically, and I hope my vision will enlighten many to come to build on that vision.

So I hope that you had a wonderful break time at this time of the year, also a chance to reflect on future generations to come.

As I am having a good time with friends and families, and brothers and sisters, I hope you’ll do the same thing, and in advance happy new year to you all wherever you are on the planet Earth.

So let me say here, that I am looking forward to seeing and greeting more of you in the coming new year, so with much love, peace, joy, and hope.

Your humbled Earthian brother a free citizen of the planet Earth, from Birmingham England


I am travelling around the world, for peace, using zero carbon and zero money.

Tagged with: , , , , , , ,
Posted in Americas, Around the World, Peace Mission, UK

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: